Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cancer Sucks!

That is one of my favorite catch lines concerning cancer - simple and to the point. A kid at packard coined the phrase and I forgot about it til I saw someone with a cancer sucks button yesterday.

I was just talking to a hematologist I work with about Myelodysplastic Syndrome. One of her family members was just diagnosed, and she remembered that that's what my dad had. We were talking about prognosis' and treatments, and she said there is actually a pretty sucessful treatment out now. A chemotherapy type drug that from what she has heard is pretty good at wiping out MDS. It's very much a bitter-sweet thing to hear. It's a little sad to think that if this drug had been discovered a few years earlier that my dad might very well still be around. But on the flip side, it's awesome to realize that research is progressing. It's cool to know that money I've been fundraising with the Leukemia and Lymphoma society funds most of the research going on in this field and that it actually is saving other people's lives!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home