Saturday, June 14, 2008

team ride #2 and interview with Matt

This is a mini interview one of my teammates taped of our head coach, Matt, about what Team in Training is, and what we're doing this summer...




So today was our second team ride! I'm proud to announce, no flats! I love it when that happens. My new tires are doing their job.

Our ride today was a loop in Portola Valley just north of Stanford. Beautiful ride, though the air quality was a little crappy from the fires. It was just a 12 mile ride that served as a time trial to divide the team up into appropriately paced ride groups for the season. I had a solid ride. Not my best time for this loop, but pretty solid. I think I did the 12 miles in about 41 mins. With a few hills in the mix, I think it averaged out to about a 17 mile per hr pace according to my sketchy math (my bike computer was on the blitz though).

After the ride, we had a brief skills clinic to help new riders with things like steering over obstacles, quick breaking, ect. Then it was off to Mike's Cafe for breakfast. I'm really bad about eating breakfast before rides (I need to work on this) so breakfast was more than welcome!

Breakfast was a good time. It was nice to socialize with and get to know some of the people I haven't really ridden with yet. My coach from last season, Patrick, works in the Math department at Foothill college. It seems as if he has recruited the whole math department for the team. I think he has 4 other teachers, and one of their spouses riding with us this season. I was sitting between all of them at breakfast (aside from pyschotic Patrick who is in South Dakota doing a 450 mile ride!). One of the Math professors, Gene, is an honoree for the team. I think he had CLL which is in remission. Anyhow, he asked me if I'd done team in training before, and if I'd done the Honolulu century before and stuff like that. Rick, another teacher in their department was sitting on my other side and interrupted to inform Gene that even if he didn't know me, that he knew who I was. He went on to say, "this is that participant from last season with Patrick, you know the one he told everyone about..." Gene, indeed knew who I was from that description. I guess all my mishaps from Hawaii last season has unfortunately gained me a little fame amoung the team-- still not quite sure if that's a good or bad thing! This year's ride is NOT going to be like that again though!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home